Tuesday, October 26, 2010


It was an unusually quiet afternoon. I looked outside the window, turquoise blue lake Michigan smiled at me. I tried to smile back but it didn’t help. Two years – more than two years! Isn’t that a long time? - I thought to myself. How man learns to live and forget – or thinks has forgotten by consciously never letting some thoughts surface up. Today those thoughts kept coming back and I made no attempt to feign an indifference to their presence, even today, in some recess of my heart.

Unlike many other times, they weren’t discomforting, I think after a point in ones life, one is more comfortable with just accepting the truth, and not hiding it, not running away from it. But what was the truth? And did it matter?

I could feel the cold Scandinavian air blurring my eyes. Two years! I finally smiled to myself, nodded my head in disbelief and sat staring at my computer screen. It was an hour past after this train of thoughts had taken off an unusual journey in my mind. I hadn’t done a single bit of work today and I had no more intensions of doing so.

Duality – duality of nature – I used to once think that this is an uncommon feature. But the more I live, the more I experience, the more I realize an element of duality in all of us – without an exception – the degree of duality might differ though. When I say duality, I do not mean to refer to philosophical “Dualism”, nor to “duality” as used in politics – I mean, existing as two different personalities at a point in time. For example – extremely talkative Vs extremely quiet. Or a moralistic saint Vs a libertine.

I am not too sure why I thought about duality, I turned to look at the lake again – calm and serene. For all the disturbances, for all the good and bad that happens and will continue to happen, there was a calm in my heart too. I played my age old favourite “Yeh mera deewanapan hai”, closed my eyes and slept - with all that is me, with all that makes me better or worse… with all my thoughts, peacefully rested within me…

No comments: